Trout Fillets with Ginger, Garlic & Chilli
(taken from '50 Classic Trout Recipes' by Jane Bamforth)
Pink trout fillets cooked
with ginger, garlic & chilli make a stunning contrast with nutty black rice.
2.5cm fresh root ginger, peeled & grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 fresh red chilli, seeded & finely chopped
30ml/2 tbsp soy sauce
2 trout fillets, each abut 200g
oil for greasing
For the rice:
15ml sesame oil
50g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
8 spring onions finely chopped
150g black rice
4 slices fresh root ginger
900ml boiling water
1. Make the rice. Heat the sesame oil in a pan and fry the mushrooms with half the spring onions for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the rice and sliced ginger to the pan and stir well. Cover with the boiling water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is tender. Drain well and cover to keep warm.
3. While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven. In a small bowl mix together the grated ginger, garlic, chilli and soy sauce.
4. Place the trout, skin side up, in a lightly oiled shallow baking dish. Using a sharp knife, make several slits in the skin of the fish, then spread the ginger paste all over the fillets.
5. Cover the dish tightly with foil and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the trout fillets are cooked through.
6. Divide the rice between two warmed serving plates. Remove the ginger. Lay the fish on top and sprinkle over the reserved spring onions to garnish.