Trout Fillets with Spinach and Mushroom sauce
(taken from '50 Classic Trout Recipes' by Jane Bamforth)
Skinned trout fillets are
a cook's ideal ingredient. They cook quickly and taste delicious, especially
when served with a rich spinach and mushroom sauce.
1/4 medium onion, chopped
225g mushrooms, chopped
300ml hot chicken stock
225g chopped cooked spinach (though could use frozen)
150ml creme fraiche
8 trout fillets
a pinch of nutmeg
salt & pepper
1. To make the sauce, melt 50g of the butter in a frying pan or wok and fry the onion until soft. Add the mushrooms & cook until the juices begin to run, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
2. Pour the hot stock into the pan, then stir in the spinach and cook, stirring from time to time.
3. Mix the cornflour to a paste with the water. Stir into the mushroom mixture. Simmer gently, stirring often, until the sauce thickens.
4. Scrape the sauce into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add the creme fraiche, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Pour into a serving sauceboat and keep warm.
5. Melt the remaining butter in a large frying pan. Season the trout fillets with salt & pepper and cook for 6 minutes, turning once, until just cooked through. Serve with new potatoes and baby carrots. The sauce can be poured over the trout fillets or served separately.